Welcome


When we bought the house, one of my requirements was that it had space for a workshop - and this house had a large barn. There was more than enough space for me to set up my workshop. The workshop has proved to be essential, as there is always something that needs repairing or making for the house. 

The other reason I wanted a workshop was to allow me to create. I have always enjoyed making things and creating artwork; having officially retired, in theory I should have more time to indulge myself but I actually seem more busy than ever! 

Last November I did however finally get a lathe. Woodturning was something that I had long wanted to do, having last done it nearly 45 years ago while at school. Also last year I started making ceramics at a nearby pottery, but sadly this has been put on hold due to covid restrictions.

I love working with organic materials such as wood and clay, particularly wood. I always feel a responsibility when taking a piece of wood that I must create an object that enhances its natural beauty as much as possible. I hate wasting a piece of wood, as I respect it as a once living thing; I hate the idea of felling a tree so I always try to use branches or parts of tree that have fallen or been 'pruned' rather than felled.

A lot of the wood I use in my turning is sourced from our own trees; we are lucky and have Ash, Oak and Sweet Chestnut growing on our land. I am always on the lookout for scrap wood and bits of tree that I can scrounge to use. 



This is some Sweet Chestnut I have recently harvested, along with some Apple logs I was given. The Chestnut was one bough cut from a stand of four growing from one trunk; the top of the bough was dying back so I decided to remove it for safety.  All of this will need a year or so to fully dry out, although I may try turning some of it 'green' just to see what happens.  You soon realise that an essential woodturning tool is a chainsaw.



   

 



Comments

Popular Posts